top of page

I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.

St George_edited.png

Northern Ireland

Welcome to our page designed to assist our valued customers based in Northern Ireland. For those who are situated in other parts of the UK, kindly click on the flag that corresponds to your location above to access the relevant legislation applicable in your area. Should you have any uncertainties, please do not hesitate to contact us for assistance.

At Planning Services, we are committed to helping you find the right planning authority for your project. With years of experience in the town planning industry, we are able to provide our clients with the best possible solutions for their requirements.

We understand that planning authorities vary from region to region, and our team of experts are here to help you make the right decisions. Whether you’re looking to build a new home or develop a commercial property, we can help you find the right planning authority for your project.

Illuminated Belfast City Hall. Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom..jpg
Planning permission is a legal authorisation granted by the local governing body pursuant to the provisions of the Town and Country Planning Act of 1948. This permission permits the construction of new buildings or alterations to existing ones. It is also known as planning consent.
Use the section below to find out about;

Development Restrictions
Use the button below to search for restriction in your area.

Listed Buildings 

It is illegal to perform work that impacts special interests without proper authorization. This can result in prosecution or enforcement action from the LPA, with no time restrictions. Those responsible may be required to repair or replace any damaged materials, even if they are no longer the owners. Failure to comply with conditions may also lead to prosecution and enforcement.

Permitted Development

Not all development needs Planning permission. Click the button below to see what you can do under housholder Permitted Development

It's important to be aware that your permitted development rights may have been restricted by the local planning authority through an 'Article 4' direction. This means that you may have to obtain planning permission for work that would normally not require it.


'Article 4' directions are typically issued in areas that where the authority has found it important to protect their character. They are most commonly found in conservation areas. You may already know if your property is affected by such a direction, but if you're unsure, you should check with the Planning Services.


Please keep in mind that houses and flats that were created through permitted development rights (including changes of use) generally cannot use householder permitted development rights for additional development, such as an extension. Planning permission is typically required. It's recommended that you reach out to your Planning Services to discuss any such matters before beginning any work.

In some areas of the country, known generally as 'designated areas', permitted development rights are more restricted. For example, if you live in:

  • a Conservation Area

  • a National Park

  • an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty

  • a World Heritage Site

In certain areas, certain types of work require planning permission even though they don't in other areas. If the property is listed, there are also different requirements to be aware of.


Certificate of Lawfulness 

"Lawful development" refers to development that isn't in violation of any planning enforcement notice or breach of condition notice. A four-year timeframe applies to changes of the use of a building or operations on land. A ten-year timeframe applies to material change of use or breach of condition. If no enforcement action is taken during these timeframes, then the unauthorised use or operation becomes immune from enforcement action. To apply for a Certificate of Lawful Use or Development, provide factual information about the land's history, use, or operations. After submitting an application, the local planning authority has eight weeks to make a decision, which can be extended if agreed upon by both parties. If no decision is made, the applicant can appeal to the Planning Inspectorate.

Other Applications 

Click the arrows at the side to view other types of applications 

bottom of page